Re: Naming that baby!

From: Gary Eckhardt <eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil>
Date: 28 May 1993 19:25:16 GMT

In article mkh_at_rag.asc.slb.com, jadams_at_austin.slcs.slb.com (John Adams) writes:
> 1) What do you use for $ORACLE_SID? How did you come up with that name?

   We came up with a common convention that includes 'dev' or 'pro' in the name    of the SID, meaning 'development' and 'production' accordingly. In addition,    we have a single letter appended to the beginning meaning the platform that it    is running on, i.e. 'S'or 'V', meaning 'Sun' and 'Vax' accordingly.    And finally, we might have many production databases all running on different    machines, so we append a single number on the end to signify which one.    Thus, 'SDEV1', 'SPRO1', 'VDEV1' are all valid SID's. Note that these are only    to identify the database. Each application uses a database alias that points to    one of these, so that if we transplant an application from one database to another,    we just have to change the alias.

> 2) What do you use for "database name"? If not the same as SID, why?

   Database names are always the same as SID's.

> 3) Do you ever run more than one Oracle instance (of same ver) on a machine? Why?

   On a daily basis. Why? We have one database that is our development database,    and one that is our 'beta test' area. They just happen to be on the same machine    (for now...) It helps software testing to get it to a 'fresh' database to test,    without all the stragglings tables and synonyms lingering around.

---

Gary B. Eckhardt                |  Software Development  |  This space for
Computer Sciences Corporation   |  MISTS HSC Support     |  rent or lease.
eckhardg_at_radon.brooks.af.mil    |  (210) 536-2826        |  (Cheap!)

   "If the world was a logical place, all cowboys would ride side-saddle."
                         --Ranger Doug, "The Riders In The Sky"