Re: Update problem with Forms 3.0

From: Mike Dickson <dp_mkd_at_tourism.tdoc.texas.gov>
Date: 27 May 1993 17:27:27 GMT

In article <1993May21.140926.13939_at_infonode.ingr.com> Jack Jolly, jjolly_at_mach.b24a.ingr.com writes:
>I use Oracle and Informix on a fairly regular basis. Recently,
>my "system" (/usr) disk crashed on my INGR unix w/s. Oracle
>s/w and db's were all on a different disk, so were unaffected.
>Informix s/w was on system disk and db files were on another
>disk. I lost my "tbconfig" file because of the crash. I
>think the tbconfig file can be likened to Oracle's control
>file (correct me if I'm wrong). I was able to use
>"tbcheck -pr" to read the "reserved pages". Evidently, the
>first 12 pages in the infoe db store info that can be used to
>recover the db. This was an absolute lifesaver because it
>allowed me to "reconstruct" the tbconfig file and restart my db.
>
>Does Oracle have a way to do something like this??

Oracle versions 6.033 and greater have a CREATE CONTROLFILE command. You need to know the filespec of all your database files and log files. You can
reset the logfiles, or you can do a manual recovery after creating the controlfiles.

Mike Dickson, Database Administrator     |  dp_mkd_at_tourism.tdoc.texas.gov
Texas Department of Commerce             |  (512)320-9445
PO Box 12728                             |  (512)320-9475 fax
Austin, Texas  78711                     |  "When the going gets weird,
the
USA                                      |   weird turn pro"