A Couple of Questions

From: Stephen C. Wehrend <wehrend_at_eau.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1993 22:29:23 GMT

I am using Oracle 7 and have two problems that I can't solve. I have limited access to product support, but they don't have version 7 and can't figure out what to do. I am running on a Sun with SQL, SQL*PLUS and PRO*C. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  1. Is there a way to execute a C program from a stored procedure? I have tried using the "host" command in the procedure, but I am unable to get the procedure to compile. Embedded SQL does not seem to be option, since the invocation of the C program needs to be tied to the firing of a trigger.
  2. Is there a way to access "new" values in a table level trigger? I have tried the commands in the manuals such as: CREATE TRIGGER test AFTER UPDATE OR INSERT on some_table DECLARE value NUMBER; BEGIN SELECT node INTO value FROM table1 WHERE slot =:new.slot; END;
    The compiler says that "new" and "old" references are not allowed on     table level triggers. Is there a way around this specific reference?     In particular, I would like to retrieve only the updated or inserted     values.
Steve Wehrend                             Darcy Meyer
wehrend_at_cadswes.colorado.edu              meyerda.cadswes.colorado.edu