HELP wanted with bringing Oracle up!

From: Berry A.W. van Halderen <halderen_at_fwi.uva.nl>
Date: 19 May 1993 09:07:01 GMT

  HELP wanted with bringing Oracle up!
  (maybe a FAQ, but I can't find the d*mn FAQ)

The University of Amsterdam has bought a license for running Oracle v6.0 together with some clients on SQL*Net. I'm trying to get oracle running on a big Sun4 (multiprocessor, 256 Mb memory, etc.) for which we have bought this oracle. The only thing is that I can't seem to get oracle running. Of course I need to get in touch with customer support, but I think someone on the net must be able to help me a lot quicker than those quiche-eaters. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, please ???

The installation of Oracle went without much problems. No real special products were installed (we need just a simple SQL*Net by tcp). tpo was installed, but isn't really necessary.

After the installation the database runned just fine, but was shut down because it wasn't needed at that time. Later on I managed to get it running also without any problems (just dbstart and away). Again it was shut down, but now since several weeks I can't seem to get it running.

Since the time interval between being able to run oracle and not being able to do so the system (the Sun4 & kernel) wasn't changed dramaticly (at least nothing that can affect oracle). Currently i've tried all kinds of things (several reboots and raising shared memory upto 32 Mb); nothing seems to get oracle running.

The output from "dbstart" reads:

    SQL*DBA: Version 6.0.33.1.1 - Production on Wed May 19 09:55:17 1993

    Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1989. All rights reserved.

    ORACLE RDBMS V6.0.33.1.1, transaction processing option - Production     PL/SQL V1.0.32.3.1 - Production

    ORA-00445: background process 'PMON' didn't start     ORA-07269: spdcr: detached process died after exec.

    SQL*DBA complete.

    Database "fwi1" warm started.

The first error seems to be the problem;

    ORA-00445: background process '/name/' didn't start

        Cause: The specified process did not start
        Action: Make sure the executable image is in the right location
                with the correct protections, then retry the operation.

Since PMON is just another process of the oracle executable and oracle did run I can do much with the 'Action' on this error message. The next error gives some more information:

    ORA-07269: spdcr: detached process died after exec.

        Cause: Detached process executed succesfully, but died shortly
                thereafter. Additional information indicates exit code,
                and termination status.
        Action: Check termination code for information as to why the
                process exited. Check for core dump or trace file in the
                ?/dbs directory. Contact Customer Support.

There is no trace file, no core dump and the termination code is a beautiful 0. No help either. The Oracle for sun-4 installation manual says that most problems of starting the database are due to problems with the SGA and the available shared memory. Unfortunately I cannot find the problem.

Maybe from the output of 'tstshm' anyone can easily tell me what's wrong (it seems to hint at one or two errors in the system):

    Number of segments gotten by shmget() = 50     Number of segments attached by shmat() = 50     Segments attach at lower addresses
    Maximum size segments are not attached contiguously!       Segment separation = -2228224 bytes     Shared memory non-attachable at specific addresses!

    Default shared memory address = 0xf75e0000
    Lowest shared memory address  = 0xf0dc0000
    Highest shared memory address = 0xf75e0000
    Total shared memory range     = 111280128
    Total shared memory attached  = 104857600
    Largest single segment size   =  2097152
    Segment boundaries (SHMLBA)   =     8192 (0x2000)

I'm getting quite mad (angry & crazy). If someone has some input for me I _really_ would be very grateful.

\Berry

--

/* 1st law for prg optimization: Berry A.W. van Halderen */
/* Don't do it. X Email: halderen_at_fwi.uva.nl */