Re: Need reporting tool for novices

From: Ian Dixon <uidixon!idixon_at_infocom.co.uk>
Date: 19 May 93 20:49:00 GMT

mcapron_at_wbst845e.xerox.com (Mike Capron) writes:

> We are looking for a tool that we can give to computer novices to allow
> them to generate ad hoc reports from an Oracle database. The database
> lives on a VAX, but we would like to access it from either a Sun or
> PC (using SQL/Net), preferably both. We don't mind doing some setup
> to get things up and running.

Ask your Oracle rep about Oracle Data Browser. I've seen it running under Windows and it doesnt look too bad. In the UK, Oracle are supplying a demo disk plus a Q&A document (part no 3000153-0491) if you ask them. The demo is OK except it doesnt like DOS=HIGH in your config.sys. Another use for the Q&A document is that Oracle use it to knock products from other vendors but that may give you some ideas about things worth looking at.

Regards

Ian

--
Ian Dixon                       Email : idixon_at_infocom.co.uk
Reading, England