Re: FITTING ENTIRE DATABASE

From: Terry Ingoldsby 268-8821 <ingoldsb_at_cuug.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 23:24:48 GMT

In article <3185.1599.uupcb_at_factory.com> jared.hecker_at_factory.com (Jared Hecker) writes:

>HY>Has anyone tried an Oracle setup with, say, 128MB of RAM? This to me
>Henry, Oracle will eat up that memory and love every minute of it. Essentially
>Considering how ^*(+_! slow the RS/6000 disk subsystem is, I applaud your
>friend's thinking. It will pay off big time inperformance.

I'm amazed and surprised! We recently conducted some rather extensive benchmarks using Oracle in a GIS application. RS6000, *in our application*, was about twice the performance of another popular UNIX box. We actually chose the RS6000 because of its disk performance (model 370's).

  • Terry Ingoldsby ingoldsb_at_cuug.ab.ca