Re: Query only form...Help!

From: Paul Mickel <mickel_at_OES.ORST.EDU>
Date: 18 May 1993 20:58:41 GMT

In article <1993May17.065242.21984_at_uws.EDU.AU> roleary_at_st.nepean.uws.edu.au (Rocqueforte OLeary) writes:
>G'day,
>I have a small problem with Forms V.3.0. I want to create a
>query only form for my users. Now, I call the form using
>call_query, which is fine, but when the users press [exit],
>the form drops out of query mode and into edit mode. Agh!!!
>I've made the fields non-updatable, but I'd rather have it
>where they press [exit] and they return to the menu (i.e.
>they don't get presented with the question "Do you wish to
>commit changes?"). Help with this would be much appreicated.
>Cheers,
>--
> ,-_|\ *********** Rocqueforte Daemaen Alexander O'Leary ***********
> / \ B.App.Sci.(Comp),BPFH,Uni. Of Western Sydney,Nepean,Australia
> \_.--_/ E-Mail: roleary_at_st.nepean.uws.edu.au Work Phone: 047 360 773
> o "Don't ask me how it works or I'll whimper"

There are two options as I see it:

0. Have the base table actually be a view. This way, even if you set the form

   fields to the view fields, the properties of the view hold, one of which is    that they are "view-data-only" tables.

  1. Disable the "Key-Commit" trigger, as well as any trigger having to do with insert, update, or deletes. The "Key-Commit" trigger contains the code for making commits, so it would not be hard to substitute code that tells the user they can't do this operation (we implement that on some of our forms here). I don't like this option because you have to make sure that all triggers do not update or delete information from the database. Most of our operators are not computer operators, so chances of mistakes that result in data inconsistency are greater.

-Paul

--
Paul M. Mickel			  	   Internet:mickel_at_oes.orst.edu
Database Programmer, Teledyne Wah Chang    Albany, OR