Re: Why is Oracle expensive?

From: Gary Eckhardt <eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil>
Date: 13 May 1993 20:53:10 GMT

> I curious what makes you think that. I though the were releasing the 7 toolset
> (Forms4.0,SRW2.0) for windows on June 1. The unix stuff won't be released until
> 60 to 90 days after that.

Let me qualify my previous statements. Based on phone conversations with Oracle technical reps and sales reps, Oracle V7 *RDBMS* was considered to be too big and unruly to run in a normal DOS, single user environment. The toolset (i.e. Forms, Plus, ReportWriter, etc) will be released to run on a PC against a database server. I hadn't heard about Oracle being released on the Chicago 32-bit version of DOS, but that certainly makes sense. I'm sure that given enough general public moaning and groaning, they will figure out SOME WAY of releasing V7 on a single-user DOS machine. If anyone has heard otherwise, please let me know! Maybe I need to talk to the right people! ;^>

Gary B. Eckhardt                |  Software Development  |  This space for
Computer Sciences Corporation   |  MISTS HSC Support     |  rent or lease.
eckhardg_at_radon.brooks.af.mil    |  (210) 536-2826        |  (Cheap!)

   "If the world was a logical place, all cowboys would ride side-saddle."
                         --Ranger Doug, "The Riders In The Sky"