Re: Why is Oracle expensive?

From: Joseph Bennett <jbennett_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1993 11:40:29 GMT

eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil (Gary Eckhardt) writes:

>In article 12MAY199309172338_at_erich.triumf.ca, grant_at_erich.triumf.ca (Peter A. Grant) writes:
>
>> Don't get me wrong: I'm not PC-bashing. ORACLE V6 will certainly fit on the
>> type of PC that you have - I was just trying to reflect the fact that it's
>> too big for a large number of machines out there. Here, we've ported most of
>> the PC databases to the VAX because V6 was just too resource-hungry.

>Just to interject my 2cents: The basic jist from Oracle is that there are not - and
>probably never will be - any future versions of Oracle released on the PC. It's just
>too dang big now. Probably only larger scale systems and server systems.

According to Oracle's OLS, they will release Oracle7 for the PC, but not until Microsoft's "Chicago" version of DOS (full 32 bit DOS) is available. The current minimum resource estimates for Oracle7 on the PC are 10MB of RAM and 30MB of disk space.

*         Joseph Bennett, I can be reached at jbennett_at_netcom.COM            *
*           Netcom - Online Communication Services San Jose, CA              *
* "I have a fear of letting my mind wander, I'm afraid it won't come back"   *
*                "I don't do drugs, I don't have the time."                  *