Fitting entire database in memory

From: Henry K. Yu <hyu_at_eng.umd.edu>
Date: 10 May 1993 14:07:29 GMT

This may seem a little out of the line of normal Oracle database setup where millions of transactions come and go between many disks and memory.

Has anyone tried an Oracle setup with, say, 128MB of RAM? This to me is like having a huge cache. Specifically, someone intends to setup something like this with a RS/6000.

Concerns are: how will Oracle take advantage of the available memory? How to keep other processes out of Oracle's way? (This will be a dedicated server.) What about even more memory?

BTW, I am not familiar Oracle in UN*X environments. I work with VMS.

Regards,
Henry Received on Mon May 10 1993 - 16:07:29 CEST

Original text of this message