Re: Questions about SQL*Net for DOS parameters/setup

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1993 22:24:28 GMT

In article <SBCHANIN.93May9131510_at_raisin-nut.ai.mit.edu> sbchanin_at_ai.mit.edu writes:
>My group is using SQL*Net for FTP Inc's TCP/IP software with a windows
>application. In general everything has been fine, but we sometimes
>get weird problems where SQL*Net can't log into the remote database.
>On one machine, the login will not succeed if ODI drivers are loadded
>to allow netware connectivity (but on two identical Gateway 66V's
>everything is fine).
>
>1) ANYWAY, should we be running netinit? Could running this increase
>stability?
NETINIT shouldn't affect stability but will most likely alleviate some connection problems. It should be used when connecting to ORACLE (local or remote) from MS Windows using the DOS SQL*Net drivers. The DOS SQL*Net drivers need to allocate the connection context from the lower 640K. Windows,TSR's, etc can also use this 640K. NETINIT will preallocate connections for you depending on the value of the config vars WIN_LOCAL_SESSIONS and WIN_REMOTE_SESSIONS. LOCAL is for local connections and REMOTE is for remote sessions. Basically, how many concurrent sessions do you need.