Re: Increasing number of semaphores in Kernal

From: Ron Pool <ron_at_empire.cce.cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 22:49:14 GMT

John Peach (epeas_at_abds7.aberdeen.chevron.com) wrote:

: In article <wtfxstonC6IqCp.Bww_at_netcom.com>, wtfxston_at_netcom.com (William Todd Featherston) writes:

: |> I am trying to install ORACLE 7.0.12 onto a SPARC 2 running SunOS 4.1.3
: |> It seems to be dying due to lack of semaphores. Could someone point out
: |> where I change the number of semaphore sets and semaphore per set?

: In the kernel -specifically SEMMNI SEMMSL and SEMMNS. Ref. Chapter 4, : Installation & Users Guide.

I just installed 7.0.12 on the same machine under the same OS. I wanted to leave V6 running while doing the 7.0.12 install but ended up being unable to. This caused me grief for a while as Oracle tech support told me I could leave V6 running while I did the Oracle7 install. I ended up having to shutdown V6 while I installed Oracle7. Once Oracle7 was installed I was able to start and run both V6 and Oracle7 at the same time. Note: I previously increased the number of semaphore sets and max semaphores per set and found I did not need to increase them further for the Oracle7 install.

Ron Pool; Electronic Technology Group; B-15 Wing Hall; Ithaca, NY 14853
Internet: ron_at_cce.cornell.edu