Re: Oracle Administration...?

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_[192.68.181.204]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1993 17:31:24

In article <DAVIDM.93Apr29205921_at_prometheus.consilium.com> davidm_at_consilium.com (David S. Masterson) writes:

> My Oracle experience is, admittedly, definitely out-of-date and many things
> have changed...
>
> 1. Do you allow your developers to create databases or reserve this capability
> to a select group (the DBAs)?

We have one or two true DBA's who have life-or-death authority over the physical database. We automated such mundane things as creating new accounts and watching out for fragmentation and making backups.

> 2. How do you handle test databases? Do developers make a copy of the master
> database to populate for testing purposes?

In a development shop, we regard the entire database as a test database. At customer sites, we install two databases (real and test) and two instances on each cpu. at home we do not copy, at customer site we do.

> 3. Do you allow developers to alter databases so that they may change metadata
> and test ideas for new applications? Or is this reserved to DBAs?

Yes, developers can play God with their schemas. we encourage good tuning practices and have some conventions we observe when databases go into production mode. Otherwise it's a free-for-all.

> 4. How do you change control the database design? On a different database
> system, we've maintained SQL scripts for building the database -- does this
> make sense for Oracle?

We do the same thing; although more and more we use a graphical tool like ER/Win to represent the schema, so we save versions of it.