Re: Oracle and MS-Windows DDE

From: Bruce Cottman <bhc_at_dirac.i-kinetics.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1993 00:41:03 GMT

You might be interested in the a high performance DDE/API to Oracle product, Re: I-Bridge for Windows

if so you can contact:

Sales, ATTN: Abe Hirsch
I-Kinetics, Inc.
19 Bishop Allen Drive
Cambridge, MA 02139
Voice: (800) 457-4555
Fax: (617) 661-8625
Internet: sales_at_i-kinetics.com

I-Bridge: Complete solution for accessing Oracle and Sybase from MS Windows

Today's most vexing data problem is not whether or where the needed information exists but how to transfer it to and from your favorite desktop application. Usually the solutions available are to type in the data, or import a file from a network or floppy disk.

With I-Bridge you can access more and better information now, when you need it. While in your favorite Microsoft Windows applications you can grab data directly from remote corporate databases. You gain access to up-to-the-minute database information. And since the data is now in your Microsoft Windows application, you have complete control to format and analyze it to your specific needs. All this without having to learn yet another application just so that you can get your job done. There is no learning curve. You realize increased productivity immediately.

*********I-Bridge Version 2.0 Features************

() Full Unix and TCP/IP networking support.

I-Bridge for Windows supports the major vendor PC/Windows TCP/IP implementations: Microsoft Winsocket, Sun PC/NFS, FTP Software, Novell LWP, NetManage, Frontier, and Distinct.

() Breaks the 64KB Windows Data Transfer Barrier.

I-Bridge succeeds where other Windows database links fail. It breaks through 64 KByte barrier of MS Windows with data transfers of 1000 KByte or more.

Who needs more 64KB? This is about 800 rows. Is this enough? Not when finance wants an audit report. Not when marketing wants quota drilldowns. Not when trading wants a fund holdings detail. How big is your database 1MB, 100MB, 10,000MB? What are the chances that you are going to need to download more than 64KB of data from it? What are going to do?

() Retrieves data in background freeing you to do other work.

The I-Bridge works in the background. Your application is not blocked waiting for data to be returned.

Asking for data against heavily loaded database servers can result in long wait times. You do not want your application to be locked for minutes maybe even hours.

() The fastest data transfer available.

I-Bridge blasts data in at greater 150 pages per minute!

() Triggers

I-Bridge triggers are similar to the advanced features in the latest releases of modern relational DBMS products. Using triggers, the I-Bridge will activate your spreadsheet macro when the data is returned.

You can build very sophisticated spreadsheet applications using I-Bridge triggers.

For example, you can build sophisticated spreadsheet models or reports with I-Bridge automatically gathering the data from remote databases. You can also pre-schedule your transfers from one or more corporate databases, automating daily, weekly or monthly analysis and reporting. And please, don't let your imagination stop there. You can automatically distribute these reports using already in-place e-mail, printers or fax modems. Or automatically store them in a remote database. You could even automate the generation of an up-to-date distribution list using the I-Bridge to reach the corporation's employee or customer profile database.

() Transaction Monitor

See the status of all your pending requests immediately.

() Access to Oracle and Sybase, the two most popular Unix DBMSs.

The I-Bridge supports both standard SQL and SQL extensions. You can use your organizations full investment is such advanced DBMS features as stored procedures, aggregates and multiple selects.

() Quality Assurance

The I-Bridge handles nasty Windows memory management and networking event handling problems that usually causes others to crash.

() Add-in macro library for Excel 3.0 and Excel 4.0.

() Support for both Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1.