Re: Experiences with SQLTCP.DLL (Windows Sql*Ne

From: Gary Eckhardt <eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil>
Date: 30 Apr 1993 12:38:43 GMT

>>Has anyone used the Windows SQL*Net DLL? How was your experience?

We have installed it on a test PC since the release we have is beta. When we first heard about it, we thought it was going to solve all our SQL*Net Windows problems. However, it did not. We were under the impression that all you would need to connect to your database was the DLL, but we cannot get it to function without having at least SQLTCP loaded before going into windows. Anyone else have this problem?

>>It is stable?

It seems to be relatively stable, however tweaking is necessary. If used with the beta SQL*Plus for windows, it barfs bigtime on large queries. But, like I said, I think that it's an operator problem not having things tweaked right.

>>Is it fast?

Seems pretty zippy to me. We're using it with Microsoft Q&E and it works wonderfully.

>>Was configuration easy or hard?

Moderate. Installing it is a breeze, (like any other SQL*Net). A few tweaks here and there of your windows environment are necessary, but I beleive that it takes care of all that for you. You do have to have the SQL*Net Initializer that is a small program that you LOAD when windows boots up, and the parameters for that are in the CONFIG.ORA file.

>>Do you connect to a v6 or a v7 instance?

We have connected successfully to:

  VAX/VMS 6.0.35
  Sun Os  6.0.33
  Sun Os  6.0.36
  ATT 3B2 6.0.33

---

Gary B. Eckhardt                |  Software Development  |  This space for
Computer Sciences Corporation   |  MISTS HSC Support     |  rent or lease.
eckhardg_at_radon.brooks.af.mil    |  (210) 536-2826        |  (Cheap!)

   "If the world was a logical place, all cowboys would ride side-saddle."
                         --Ranger Doug, "The Riders In The Sky"