Re: Design needed: large arrays

From: Michael Friedman <mfriedma_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1993 21:26:27 GMT

In article <1993Apr30.085212.16057_at_beech.mcs.gvsu.edu> strobel_at_pine.mcs.gvsu.edu (Steve Strobel) writes:
>In article <1rlc9u$fhu_at_access.digex.net> grimes_at_access.digex.com (Seth Grimes) writes:
>>> I have to handle large arrays of date from measurements in Oracle.
>>> These are of about 1000x1000 points, but can be 400x1000 or 10000x100
>>> as well. These values have to be written, read and deleted as quick as
>>> possible.
>>> I tried several design, but found no solution with appropriate performace.

>>> How would a experienced designer handle this kind of data?

>Is not an array another term for repeating group, and does relational
>theory have anything to say about this?

>I would think so.

Well, relational theory says you put each element of the array in a separate row. In the real world, however, this is rarely, if ever, done. It uses too much space and is too slow.

The interesting question is how do we denormalize this information in the optimum fashion to take advantage of current technology.

Mike Received on Fri Apr 30 1993 - 23:26:27 CEST

Original text of this message