Re: Using X$KCBRBH table...

From: Gary Eckhardt <eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil>
Date: 29 Apr 1993 16:05:25 GMT

>>I need to see if someone can tell me what we're doing wrong here.
>>
>>We are trying to up our SGA and tune our instance. Closely following the
>>Oracle RDBMS Performance Tuning Guide, I set DB_BLOCK_LRU_EXTENDED_STATISTICS
>>to be a non-zero value (1000 to be exact) and rebooted the instance. Everything
>>comes up fine, however all 1000 counts in the X$KCBRBH table are *ZERO*.
>>
>>I called up Oracle support, and they scratched their heads a bit and asked if
>>I had TIMED_STATISTICS set to TRUE. Affirmative. They scratched a little bit more
>>and said...."hmmm...we're going to have to call you back on this one....here's a
>>TAR...." Haven't heard back from them since. I figured I could get a little >>better response time on the net.
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas?

Oracle did in fact respond today to this, and it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I thought that I would post this for the sake of others. The problem is with VAX/VMS RDBMS 6.0.35, parallel option.

Basically, it's a bug, and it won't be fixed until V7. Even if you're running your instance of Oracle in exclusive mode, it won't write values to the table.

I seem to be getting the "It'll be fixed in V7" answer more and more nowadays. Anyone else?

---

Gary B. Eckhardt                |  Software Development  |  This space for
Computer Sciences Corporation   |  MISTS HSC Support     |  rent or lease.
eckhardg_at_radon.brooks.af.mil    |  (210) 536-2826        |  (Cheap!)

   "If the world was a logical place, all cowboys would ride side-saddle."
                         --Ranger Doug, "The Riders In The Sky"