Perf Stats with Client/Server

From: <wilsone_at_decus.org.nz>
Date: 28 Apr 93 09:55:13 +1200

                    Request for Information

CPU Collection Information.

New Zealand Dairy Group is a large Oracle site that has traditionally run databases on a host machine with users logging in on terminals or PCs acting as terminal emulators. In this configuration we collected statistics on the CPU used by these systems at the following levels:

(i) By System

          CPU for each system group (accounts for each system
          are in a separate UIC groups) is collected from VMS
          accounting and we plot daily averages for the system.

(ii) By Program
Each item when called from SQL*Menu initialises a CPU counter before starting the option. The CPU is collected before returning to the menu after completing the item and the program name and CPU used is recorded in the database. This allows us to determine what programs are using the most CPU and help track the effect of program modification and index changes on performance.

We have purchased an Alpha machine as the server for all our Oracle databases and retained two VAX machines to act as clients. CPU collection at the system level is simply a matter of adding the CPU used by a UIC group on the client and the CPU used be the server processes. CPU collection at a program level is proving more difficult.

Our current routines capture the CPU used by the client portion of the program but capture of the server process is missing. Once our databases are upgraded to Oracle7 where the server is multithreaded to serve several clients simultaneously, the job of aportioning the CPU used by each application becomes even more difficult.

If other users track CPU used by the client and server portion of a process we would dearly like to know how you acheive this.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dave Paul

ORACLE SYSTEMS MANAGER Received on Tue Apr 27 1993 - 23:55:13 CEST

Original text of this message