Re: Oracle 6 create index performance

From: Ruth Larson <rlarson_at_nswc-wo.nswc.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1993 12:41:54 GMT

>Is it true that Oracle 6 is slower in creating the first index of a table than
>the second and third indexes of the same table. My experience on Oracle 6 using
>AIX 3.2 on Risc System 6000 gave me such an impression.

>Any people have the similar experiences?

>Dong Liu

Oracle 6 could be slower in the first index create *if* it means that all the data blocks must be brought into the buffers the first time, and not for successive index creates. That would depend on the relative size of the table in question and db_block_buffers, other activity in the database, and whether the table had been accessed recently before the first create index. Whether this difference is enough to be noticeable I don't know - it would certainly depend on how fast your machine can read from disk. And of course, what else is going on on the machine at the same time. Received on Tue Apr 27 1993 - 14:41:54 CEST

Original text of this message