Meeting Anti-SQL SIG May 6, 1993, Marriott, San Francisco

From: Starflight Corp. <xena_at_nntp.crl.com>
Date: 24 Apr 1993 00:58:57 -0700

An organizing meeting of the Anti-SQL SIG will be held May 6, 1993, from 1:00 to 1:45 PM in the Marina Ballroom of the 4th Street Marriott near the Moscone Center, in connection with DB/EXPO'93. Persons who seek an alternative to SQL are urged to attend and join in this effort.

The Anti-SQL SIG will not promote any particular alternative to SQL, but will provide a forum for discussion of potential alternatives and ways that we might develop better ones and encourage database users to adopt alternatives, with the ultimate aim of allowing a better alternative to emerge.

As an initial effort, I will ask participants to join in demanding that the vendors of database engines open their products to allow other vendors to write non-SQL access languages that work with them.

Vendors of alternatives to SQL should be sure to send a representative. It is time to put aside your proprietary languages and join in seeking a common alternative to SQL that is adequate to the purposes for which most people want to use it.

Now that we see the SQL2 specs, it should be clear that SQL cannot be fixed by extending it. I propose we seek a full Turing-computable language that is user-extensible into a powerful 4GL that requires no host language for common applications. I personally favor a functional language, and one that will work with non-relational as well as with relational engines, with support for object-oriented programming. Others may have other ideas.

          _/ _/_/_/   _/_/_/     Jon Roland
         _/ _/    _/ _/    _/  /  Stamp Out SQL
        _/ _/    _/ _/_/_/    /  1755 E Bayshore Rd #9A
 _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ / Redwood City, CA 94063-4142   _/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ / 415/361-8141
                           /  jdr_at_crl.com,xena_at_crl.com