FORM_FAILURE

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_uswnvg.com>
Date: 24 Apr 93 00:27:15 GMT

(The followings are personal viewpoints and questions and does not
reflect the company's.)

My colleague and I have a slight problem understanding how FORM_FAILURE propagates through the triggers (KEY-???, PRE-???, POST-??? and ON-???).

We did some experimentation and found that :-
(an example would be easier, so I am using KEY-NXTFLD, POST-FIELD and
POST-FORM)
(1) We have a SCROLL_UP packaged procedure in KEY-NXTFLD that

    fails because there is no record displayed.
(2) We checked whether it is FORM_FAILURE. If it is, we output a

    message saying "fail", otherwise, the message said "success".
(3) As expected, the message was "fail".
(4) The second message (immediately after the first) returned

    "success" ----- so far so good.
(5) When it executed "POST-FIELD", the message (in the POST-FIELD)

    returned "fail". I expected "success" because (3) above     should have reset the FORM_FAILURE to FORM_SUCCESS as shown     by (4).
(6) The same thing happened to POST-FORM, PRE-FIELD and

    ON-VALIDATE-FIELD.
(7) We did some more experimentation and found in some cases

    it behaved a little differently. I don't remember under     which conditions it did that, though, because we tried at least     50 different combinations.

My question is: does anyone know what is going on here ? Better still: Does anyone have a flowchart or the logic about how

              FORM_FAILURE is propagated throughout the forms,
              especially when one trigger invokes another trigger or
              procedure, or, when a procedure calls another procedure?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Kim Ng Received on Sat Apr 24 1993 - 02:27:15 CEST

Original text of this message