Database monitoring tools

From: David Schmitt <schmd0_at_isadmin1.comm.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1993 16:12:38 GMT

I am interested in tools to monitor Oracle and Informix databases over time in a distributed UNIX environment. Desired features include:

	o Predict future resource consumption based on past usage over time,
	  and report problems on an exception basis.  For example:

	  	Based on the last two month's usage, you will run out of free
		disk space in 2 weeks.

		Based on increase in concurrent users over the last month,
		you ought to increase the allowed users parameter.

		Based on peak i/o, buffer cache sizes ought to be increased
		to XXX.

	o Detect short term abnormalities which may signal problems.  For
	  example:

		User X has accumulated 300 cpu minutes in the last 7 hours.

		Free space has dropped by 75% in the last 10 minutes.

	o Detect and report immmediate concerns.  For example:

		The database is down.

		Error messages are appearing in the database log file.

		A data file is offline.

	o User defined checks defined by SQL statements or UNIX commands.

It has been a couple of years since I last looked at tools like this, and thought I'd ask what others are using, and how happy you are with what is available.

I will post a summary if there is enough interest (and if I get any responses).

-Dave.
--

David Schmitt, Manager MIS Systems		Voice:	(708)538-4699
Motorola, Inc. - Land Mobile Products Sector	FAX:	(708)538-4638

Original text of this message