Re: How do I read the contents of a LONG field?

From: Jeff Dew <217092_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 21 Apr 93 16:40:06 GMT

> I've been perusing the view definitions that make up the DBA_***
>views on the system catalog that oracle provides. One of the view
>definitions is 591 characters long. From the SQL*DBA utility I can
>set LONGWIDTH to no more than 500 chars before, during a fetch, I
>get a complaint about some internal buffer being exceeded. I don't
>seem to be able to do a datatype conversion to CHAR, which would
>allow me to do something like SUBSTR(text,500). How do I get to
>see the rest of the view definition? Not that I care that much about
>the view, I'm just curious at this point about the proper method for
>accessing LONGs.

Try the following settings in your sql*plus session before trying to display the view text:

set arraysize 1 /* this should solve you buffer size problem */ set long 2000

---

Jeff J. Dew                                   Internet: jdew_at_llnl.gov
Lawrence Livermore National Lab	           PacBell Net: (510) 422-2694