Re: Is SQL for OS/2 2.0 slow?

From: forrest d whitcher <fw_at_world.std.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 15:38:42 GMT

In article <jeffgusC5Kp5t.Fn4_at_netcom.com> jeffgus_at_netcom.com (Jeffrey Gustafson) writes:
> I work at a company that runs a medium to large LAN. Right
>now we are using OS/2 1.x on the servers. We have 2 apps that use LAN
>Manager's SQL server. The network administrator said that he is going
>to install Windows NT when it is released. I asked him why. He said
>that OS/2 2.0's SQL server is VERY slow compared to 1.3's. Has
>anybody had experience with both versions of the SQL server?

Microsoft SQL server certainly hasn't been ported to a 32 bit 2.0 version. I don't know about the Sybase product.

Oracle server for 2.0 has been available for a year now, Ingres has been selling theirs for a couple of months. I am using the former, and think well of the latter. Oracle looks better (imho) in heterogenous network, o/s environments, Ingres would be a very good choice in a unix-centric network. Ingres seems to have better tools for serious application development, though Oracle is said to have improved their offerings with the new version 7.

Oracle's 16 bit version ran ok on my 2.0 system (before applying the service pack) I measured perfomance before and after upgrading to the 32 bit code, found 65% average boost with various tasks running between 40 and 100% faster. Oracle 7 should further improve these numbers. I think Oracle and Ingress both claim on the order of 40 transactions per second for the os/2 32 bit, though I wouldn't choose an rdbms just on performance numbers.

> He also said something else that's interesting. It shows that
>he is a little biased. He mentioned that "IBM always makes software
>that ONLY works the right way on IBM computers." Obviously NT will
>work perfectly on all computers... right?

Certainly given that os/2 runs ok on your clone (500+ tested by IBM at this time?) your os/2 rdbms should also. We selected Oracle largely for the ability to scale our work to larger platforms, or across a network as needed.

I have directed followups to comp.databases.oracle

>--
>Jeffrey Gustafson jeffgus_at_netcom.COM
>Netcom - Online Communication Services San Jose, CA

Forrest Whitcher                fw_at_world.std.com
Boston Scientific Corp.         Watertown MA