Re: DBA Master

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_cmutual.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 22:11:44 GMT

In article <1993Apr13.191157.24395_at_freenet.carleton.ca>, aa728_at_Freenet.carleton.ca (Blair Dean) writes:

> Does anyone out there know anything about an application called DBA-Master.
> I have just been assigned to evaluate this tool and have never heard of it.
> What little I _have_ been told about it, it is a utility to monitor SQL*NET
> activity to be run on a dedicated PC (3/486?).

Yes we have been using DBA*MAster for about 1 1/2 years now and have found it useful for monitoring over a short period of time ie in terms of hours and days.
It is not a product that monitors the database real-time.

The report that it produces are very useful. They now have a Windows version of
the product as well.

> Is this an ORACLE tool or an third party application?

Third party. The company's name is M.I.T.I and is based in Long Beachj CA. tel:
(310) 424 4399

> Does it require a dedicated machine?

I would recommend so.

> Does it require ORACLE be loaded & running on its "base" machine?

Yes and you also need Forms 2.3 or Forms 3. If you have a dedicated machine or
need to monitor a remote database, then you need SQL*Net as well.

> Tips & trap warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you have LOTS of filestore and your Tablespace large if you want to keep historical information. I mean LOTS. Purging of historical data is a CPU
and I/O hog on the machine, thus a dedicated server.

There are other similar products on the market as well like DDS/Patrol & DB-Vision. Give me a call or email me and I will pass on their names.

--
 _____       ________ / ____ |Tony Jambu, Database Administrator
  /_  __       /_ __ /       |Colonial Mutual Invest Mgmt,Aust (ACN 004021809)