Raw Devices vs UFS, and Disk Mirroring

From: Grant Fischer <a208_at_sunlife.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 93 20:16:51 GMT

Does anyone have any experience with the performance implications of using raw disk devices versus going through a unix file system? I'm interested in Sybase or Oracle under SunOS 4.1.x.

Anyone have some thoughts on why I should use the UFS rather than raw devices?

How about the effect on read/write performance of disk mirroring?

Reply to me below, and I will summarize if there is enough interest. Alternatively, if this is a FAQ thing or well-hashed out stuff, could someone kindly send me a summary?

Grant Fischer
Sun Life of Canada

                           email: uunet.ca!sunlife!grant