Re: Help: Oracle*Terminal

From: Martin Jarvis <smj_at_jbecpor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 13:02:12 +0000

Donald C. Currie (don_at_redsun.pps.rain.com) wrote:

: We are currently using NCSA Telnet on a PC emulating VT100 terminal. Our
: problem is that Oracle FORMS and MENU requires "PF" function keys that do
: not exist on your standard PC keyboard. Further, you need those same key
: mappings to access Oracle*Terminal.

We've been doing a lot of work on keyboard mappings here at John Brown. I'll give you a brief overview.

Scenario :
SQL*Forms 3.0 and SQL*Menu 5.0 running on a Sun Sparc as a central server. Users accessing server from PC's using TNVT220 (DOS Telnet) or Host Presenter (MS Windows 3.X Telnet), which are supplied with Novell's Lan Work Place For DOS. Both pieces of software provide VT220 terminal emulation.

Problem :
PC keyboards and VT220 keyboards are different. For example, VT220's have a DO key and a HELP key and the infamous PF keys. We have to ensure that all Oracle facilities are available and that if the user displays the list of valid keys in Forms 3 or Menu 5 that the screen tells them the correct _PC_ key to press.

Solution (or atleast the theory behind it...): From here on I'll talk about two different sorts of keys, VT keys and PC keys. 1. Find out what PC keys the emulator software on your PC will allow you to

   map to VT keys. For example, PC F1 = VT PF1, PC Shift F1 = VT F13 etc.    How easy this is depends on your emulation software. 2. If the standard mapping supplied with your software is not acceptable then

   produce a mapping that is better. For example, in my oppinion PC Alt Q =    VT PF1 is not acceptable. Most emulators provide a mechanism for remapping    keyboards, some are better than others. 3. Armed with the details of your mapping, it's time to create a new oraterm

   resource file. I would suggest you take a copy of the VT220.r file (or VT100    if your using VT100 based emulation) and base your new mapping on the copy. 4. Use Oraterm to edit the names of the keys in the Keys option of the Device

   menu. So that, where ever the Oraterm mapping says PF1, you change the word    PF1 to be F1 and so on. Be carefull of combinations like Shift F1. oraterm    will interperet the Shift and the F1 separately, I call these Shift-F1. 5. Run your application using the new mapping (runmenu50 -c newmap:vt220)

This is a _very_ brief overview, it's actually a lot more difficult than it first appears. I could supply our resource files, but they are specific to our Lan Work Place For DOS mappings so there's no point. I am however, quite willing to lend some more specific advice to anyone that mails me.

Regards,

Martin

   Martin Jarvis                         |    John Brown E & C Ltd,
   smj_at_jbecpor.demon.co.uk               |    1 Buckingham Street,
   Martin Jarvis /JBEC-Portsmouth, IT | Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK