Re: indexes in non-system tablespaces

From: <GO.MSB_at_isumvs.iastate.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 15:07:55 GMT

In article <1993Mar29.213455.1621_at_relay.nswc.navy.mil>,
rlarson_at_nswc-wo.nswc.navy.mil (Ruth Larson) writes:

>>From relay-wo!dtix.dt.navy.mil!darwin.sura.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!hobbes.physics.uiowa.edu!news.iastate.edu!news Mon Mar 29 16:26:31 EST 1993

>>Oracle, tell me it isn't true:

>> ANY USER CAN CREATE AN INDEX IN ANY TABLESPACE.

   . . .

>>Marvin Beck Iowa State University
>
> Users can create indexes *only* in tablespaces where they have been
>granted resources (Version 6). If your users seem to be doing otherwise,
>check what resources you've actually given them. If you ever did "GRANT
>RESOURCE TO USER" without specifying tablespace you must specifically "REVOKE
>RESOURCE FROM USER". This will have no effect on resources granted on
>specific tablespaces - Oracle keeps the information in two different places.
>Somewhat confusing, but that's the way it works.

We had carefully given users resource privileges in their allocated tablespaces only. Even revoked scott/tiger resource on SYSTEM (we thought) and gave him (it) resource on another tablespace. Somehow we screwed up the revoke on scott and were able to create indexes anywhere and everywhere. The others users were ok.

Sorry to have wasted the bandwidth and your time.

Marvin Beck Iowa State University Received on Tue Mar 30 1993 - 17:07:55 CEST

Original text of this message