Pop-up Editor

From: mike sullivan <sullivan_at_sytex.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 23:05:03 EST

Environment: Forms 3.0 on Interactive Unix

Objective: Trying to create a simple form that has two fields: 1. date - which is automatically populated by $$DATE$$ and is non-enterable, and 2. a comments "field" that allows the user to type in free form text for a number of lines (say 5-10 70 character lines). The user will have two choices: either save the comments, or exit the form.

Solution: I decided to use the EDIT_FIELD procedure in a on-new-filed-instance trigger for the comment field because I don't see any other way to let a user enter more than one line of text.

Problems: 1. When the user hits exit while in the pop-up editor, all it does is remove the pop-up editor and the cursor sits in the comments field without exiting the form. They have to hit exit again to exit the form. Can I somehow define a trigger(s) that will exit the editor AND the form with one keystroke while in the editor? I understand that while in the edit mode, key triggers are not fired.

2. When the user hits Save/commit, all it does is copy the text entered into the one line comment field, and the cursor just sits there again. The user then has to hit commit again. I tried to use a post-change and an on-validate-field trigger to try and avoid the user from having to make another keystroke to save the text (while they wonder where the rest of their text is since only one line of it is displayed) but they didn't fire even though the field had text entered into it.

Is there a way to create this simple form more convenient for the user?

---
 * SLMR 2.0 * This tagline stolen by Silly Little Mail Reader!