Problems with Upgrade

From: Peter W. Flur <flur_at_eecom.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1993 03:56:24 GMT

I just upgraded from 6.0.33.1 to 6.0.36.4.1 on a sparc1 and I'm having a few problems, specifically:

  1. When in forms, I do a list_values, and if a "number" field is returned from the list, it is truncated, giving incorrect results.
  2. The error messages in forms don't seem to be complete.

This is the sequence of events:

I exported my database in 6.0.33.1. Then I shut it down.

I then fired up sqldba under 6.0.36.4.1 being very careful to get all the environment variables correct, etc. I then created a new database from sqldba. Then I ran the catalog.sql and expvew.sql to generate the stuff needed by system. Then I imported my database.

Everything seems to work fine under the new release (so far) except when I'm running a form and trying to select values into a visible field or a PL/SQL variable. The LOV_TEXT is something like

select var into :var from table order by...

If the value of var in the table and in the visible list on the screen is selected, the value that :var gets depends on what type it is.

If var is a char(*), then it selects in the value fine (apparently). If var is defined as a number, then :var gets some form of var. It seems to either get a null of a truncated version of what var really has.

I've tried this on a couple of different forms30 applications that I've written, but I have not found a case that does work for integers.

I've tried to re-compile from within sqlforms30, but no different results.

This is an example of the error message I'm getting when trying to compile a form. Previously, this would have said something along the lines of "Missing ; " or "Expecting...." rather than a "Message not found" message. This sounds like an installation problem, but I'm not sure which part of the install got messed up.

these are my versions:
SQL*Forms (Convert): Version 3.0.16.11.3 - Production SQL*Forms (Generate): Version 3.0.16.11.3 - Production Using PL/SQL Version 01.00.35.01.01 (Production) SQL*Forms Run Form: Version 3.0.16.11.3 - Production Using Oracle Toolkit Version 01.00.20.00.01 (Production) Using PL/SQL Version 01.00.35.01.01 (Production) Using SQL*Menu Version 05.00.11.12.01 (Production)

I'd appreciate any advice...

Thanks
Peter

     Peter Flur, Research Engineer - School of EE, Georgia Tech
       E-MAIL: peter.flur_at_ee.gatech.edu PHONE: (404) 853-9355
     DUKE UNIVERSITY -- 1991 & 1992 NCAA BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!!!