Re: Client Server Suggestions.

From: Mark Perreira <markp_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1993 05:15:31 GMT

In article <1808_at_ncrclm.ClemsonSC.NCR.COM> kmcclare_at_ncrclm.ClemsonSC.NCR.COM (Ken McClaren) writes:

>Hello all you netters,
> I have an unusual question. We are moving from a COBOL based multiuser
>type system to ORACLE version 6. My delima is what is the best way to develope
>applications to operate in this new environment?
>We operate on an Intel based multiprocessor 486/50 machine that is connected
>to the users via a Novell network running TCP/IP. The operating sytem on the
>client side is Dos/Windows3.1 on 386 or better systems.
>
>The new system must be.
>1. Windows based.
>2. Economical. We've looked at Gupta, but the per user connect fee is 300.00
> too expensive for the risk, we have over 700 users.
>3. It must be able to connect to Oracle now. Access does not have that
> support yet.
>4. It must be fast. We've also looked at Object View, but an interperative
> system runs too slow for my 386/16mhz users.
>
>Has anyone out there had any experience with this type of delima. How do I
>develope impressive applications that will have the connectivity that I
>demand at a price that I can afford.

The Gupta solution is a very good one, You would do well to look at it again. I am not quite sure why Gupta costs 300 per user for connect fee. Is this the price of sqlbase or sqlrouter oracle. If it is the router you should try to work out a deal so that it is not $300 per user. If it is the sqlbase don't waste your time... Use Oracle instead.

As far as the programming environment goes Gupta 4.0 is very nice and very powerful. With the power, though, there is an increased learning curev, but once you know it you can do some incredible applications.

  //  markp_at_netcom.com             Mark Perreira           (510)889-3373   //