COMMON SQL and other libraries

From: <ccvern_at_uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1993 06:21:07 GMT

I am looking for C/C++ libraries which support access to a number of different database platforms, in a uniform manner. I wish to be able to write code which is as portable as possible across database and hardware platforms. One product that I have heard mention of, but don't know a great deal about, is called "COMMON SQL" (?).

I would be grateful for comments on "COMMON SQL" and any other similar products. I would be particularly interested in the database platforms supported, and also operating environments supported (eg, MAC, DOS, Unix etc). Comments on shortcomings of the products, or approach in general, are welcome.

The initial hardware involved will be Macintosh clients / Sun SparcStation server. Database will probably be one of ORACLE, Ingres or ......... .

If this is in an FAQ list somewhere, please let me know.

Please email responses and I will summarize to the net (unless you request otherwise).

   Thanks,
  ..Vern..

 Vern Bawden Prentice Centre The University of Queensland 4072 AUSTRALIA

     v.bawden_at_cc.uq.edu.au phone: +61 7 365 4168 fax: +61 7 365 4477 Received on Wed Mar 17 1993 - 07:21:07 CET

Original text of this message