Re: Turning Form30 Procedures into Functions???

From: <champs_at_hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 12 Mar 93 16:05:09 +1100

In article <dewey-110393101005_at_sebastian.centerline.com>, dewey_at_centerline.com (Devan F. Dewey) writes:
> I recall somewhere that you can make a procedure "return" a value
> and can then treat it like a function.
>
> Does any one know how to do this? An example would be great.

I only just found out that they exist myself. I have tried them and they work wonderfully (I don't know why the forms and PL/SQL manuals don't mention them).

The syntax goes like this:

FUNCTION function_name (argument list) RETURN return_type IS BEGIN

..
..  as for a procedure
..

RETURN something;
END; And here's a picture (sorry, obscure Australian TV joke here):

FUNCTION double_it (the_number in NUMBER) RETURN NUMBER IS BEGIN
  the_number := the_number * 2;
  RETURN the_number;
END; And here's how you'd use it:

  ..
  a_number := double_it( 23 );
  ..

or

  a_number := double_it( :another_number );

Bye for now.

    /\       Steven Champness (champs_at_hhcs.gov.au)
   /  \      Dept Health Housing and Community Services
  /    \     Brisbane Queensland
 /      \     via

/ / \ Canberra Australia
\ / / /
 \/ / / / MACINTOSH SOFTWARE AXIOM : If you need a manual to operate it
  \/ / /                                it wasn't designed properly in the
   \/ /                                 first place !
    \/