Re: JAM & Oracle

From: David E. Scheim <des_at_helix.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1993 18:32:33 GMT

In article <tyoung.14_at_stpaul.ncr.com> tyoung_at_stpaul.ncr.com (Todd Young) writes:

>In article <1n0l9cINNrqk_at_rave.larc.nasa.gov> p228_at_uni05.larc.nasa.gov (Bailey Bob) writes:

>>I am interested in getting some feedback from anyone that has used JAM from
>>Jyacc to access an Oracle (or any others for that matter) database. I am
>>particularly interested in anyone who could compare/contrast the product
>>with SQL*Forms, but I would welcome any other comments about your impression
>>of JAM - i.e. ease of use, problems encountered, Jyacc Tech Support (good/bad?), etc.

>>Thanks,
>>Bob Bailey (p228_at_uni05.larc.nasa.gov)
>>.

>As an avid user of JAM in both Unix character mode and MS/Windows,
>I feel that there is no comparison. The speed, flexibilty, and
>portability offered by JAM can't be touched by any other product.

>Besides supporting X-Windows, MS Windows, DOS, and Unix platforms too
>numerous to mention, the plug and play architecture of the database
>interface makes it invaluable. If you switch databases, you can pretty
>much just re-compile.

>I see JAM as an ideal environment for developing any type of database
>interface application, be it client or standard. I have had good luck
>with the support people at JYACC. They respond to the users needs and
>seen genuinely interested in assisting you.

>Todd Young Todd.Young_at_St.Paul.NCR.com
>NCR Corp.
>612-638-7582
>"What, Me Worry ?"

We've used JAM with MS SQL Server now for several production applications and are generally very pleased. The applications are easy to develop and run very fast. There's total flexibility in the application's user interface. The quality of tech support information is good, but the speed is less than desired -- about 24-hour turnaround.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you can make your way through Oracle's many manuals and releases, you should find it a piece of cake. -- David Scheim

/*                      --- David E. Scheim ---                      */
/* BITNET: none                                                      */
/* INTERNET: desl_at_helix.nih.gov          PHONE: 301 496-2194         */
/* CompuServe: 73750,3305                  FAX: 301 402-1065         */
/* DISCLAIMER: These comments are offered to share knowledge based   */
/*   upon my personal views.  They do not represent the positions    */
/*   of my employer.                                                 */