Re: [Q] Oracle v7 versus Sybase

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu>
Date: 9 Mar 93 01:46:20 PST

In article <1993Mar8.101925.7660_at_desire.wright.edu> srife_at_desire.wright.edu writes:
>In article <C3Jx5q.HHz_at_cyberspace.org>, jeffk_at_cyberspace.org (Jeff Kopmanis) writes:
>> In the next week or so, my company will be choosing a database for
>> mainframe and Sun Sparcstations. The contest has come down to Oracle v.7
>> or the current version of Sybase. My supervisor is currently leaning
>> toward Oracle, but since neither of us is experts at databases, we're not
>> completely sure which way to go.
>>
>> If you are a user, or are familiar with both packages, or have some
>> interesting tidbit to pass along, we would greatly appreciate your
>> input concerning these two systems. We have a week before we need to
>> decide.
>>
>> If you have horror stories or limitations that you'd like to share, we'd be
>> more than happy to accept your help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jeff Kopmanis
>> (Mark D'Andreta)
>> R. L. Polk & do.
>> Statistical Services Division
>> Detroit MI.
>> --
>> Jeff Kopmanis jeffk_at_cyberspace.org
>> (313) 769-6911 (home) (313) 393-4784 (work)
>>

>We too are interested in this information. If not too much trouble, please
>post a summary or those responding please followup to the newsgroup as it is
>likely others are interested in this.
>
>Thanks,
>Scott Rife srife_at_desire.wright.edu
>Wright State University, Dayton Ohio

I think it would be wise to cross-post this kind of stuff to comp.databases. oracle and .sybase - These are the groups where actual users of the two products live and can give you real experiences. comp.databases is very noisy lately.

Also, NO ONE will be able to give you a good answer unless you include some basic information like:
What hardware platform(s)
How Many Concurrent Users
What will they be doing (Query, Transaction Processing, etc) How large is the data
What networking is involved
What other systems must be interfaced
What kind of clients if client/server
What tool do you want to develop in - C, 4GL, etc...

any other information that you feel might help experts that know both products help you...

Good Luck,

  • Dan

Daniel Druker
Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA

| Dan Druker                                                               |
| agsm mail 	: ddruker                                                  |
| internet 	: ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                                    |
| oracle*mail	: unix:ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                               |

Disclaimer: None. I'm a student now and I don't care what you think. Received on Tue Mar 09 1993 - 10:46:20 CET

Original text of this message