Re: ORACLE7 list of features

From: Joseph Bennett <jbennett_at_netcom.com>
Date: 26 Feb 93 15:34:47 GMT

casivils_at_lescsse.jsc.nasa.gov (craig sivils) writes:

>In <1993Feb24.205651.26134_at_netcom.com> jbennett_at_netcom.com (Joseph Bennett) writes:

>>The only problems is that......

>>Stored procedures and functions require the purchase of the Procedural Option

>So don't store them in the database, it is still an improvment

Okay, so you can't used stored procedures - then what good are stored procedures if you can't store them. You have many new features, but they will be executable only by compiling them at runtime. Also, you may not legally be able to use Oracle's packaged procedures if you do not buy it.

>>Any remote database features (at least the ones that are being touted) require
>>the purchase of the Distributed Option (which, to my understanding, NO ONE
>>GETS FOR FREE).

>the ones being touted, thats very precise.

>>Use of the same database on multiple machines require the Parallel Option.

>Funny we do that now with a vax cluster just fine

We do it on our Cluster too, and to be fair - if you use the parallel server now, you will get it free in the Oracle7 release, but basically, if you weren't a parallel user before - you have to pay for it later.

>>Use of the Multi-Threaded Server requires SQL*Net v2 which is still in beta.

>SQL*Net is in beta on what machines?
>Not true on all machines, for example MVS has had multi-threaded servers
>since v5 (to be fair, I only found this out yesterday).

If you read CLOSELY - you will notice that I said SQL*Net <<V2>> which is still in beta. And as for multi-threading, yes it has been available via two-task operation, but not in the 'easy' way being touted in the manuals and in the advertising hype.

>>Lastly, as of now, at least on the VMS platform, only the base development
>>tools are available (SQL*Forms, Menu, Report*Writer). NO end-user tools are
>>available (at least from Oracle - such as Data Query or SQL*QMX or EASY*SQL).
>>Also, the CASE tools are, as of yet, unsupported, and I was told that they
>>would be available in 'maybe March' (which means 'maybe August'). Also,
>>none of the financials or other 'applications' from Oracle are supported
>>yet on Oracle7.

>This is blatently false, I use case, Oracle makes SQL*QMX and EASU*SQL they
>have been around for ages, and if this is your idea of an end user tool
>then you must have some real clever end users.

I would point to the OLS for what software is supported on Oracle7. You will find that none of the case tools are listed - or maybe you like using unsupported products - PS - Case*Designer DOES NOT work on Oracle7 - I tried and Oracle support agreed that it would not work and that a fix was on its way.

As for my end-users - all they currently have is SQL*QMX, EASY*SQL and SQL*Plus. SQL*QMX and EASY*SQL are NOT supported on Oracle7, which is what I was referring to.

>>There are MANY problems with the migration - I was told that the average time
>>to migrate was 1.5 hours per 500mb of data. Our time to finish (and we
>>ended up giving up and will rebuild our database later) was 20 hours for a
>>2.5gb database.

>I would question the wisdom of anyone who would give you the first quote and
>would even go as far as to say that if you did it in 20 hours then it went
>pretty smooth (considering the size of the database).

If you think 20 hours is pretty smooth - and it wasn't smooth - the actual elapsed time for our failed effort was 4 days - then I think you are a very patient person. We are going to rebuild the database because we feel that it will be faster and safer than the migration. As for questioning my wisdom, I wonder whether you understand my point, which is - Oracle7 is in it's infancy, with none but the 'standard' development tools available and SUPPORTED. While the kernel may be well tested, it is my opinion that the migration instructions and the process leave a lot to be desired, and unless you have the luxury to test your migration on an exact duplicate of your database, be wary, it will take a long time.

One last thing - our production database is 10G - how long should we have waited to migrate that???? 2 weeks maybe?

> Craig

*         Joseph Bennett, I can be reached at jbennett_at_netcom.COM            *
*           Netcom - Online Communication Services San Jose, CA              *
* "I have a fear of letting my mind wander, I'm afraid it won't come back"   *
*                "I don't do drugs, I don't have the time."                  *