Re: Beginner's question

From: Andrew Finkenstadt <andy_at_vistachrome.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1993 14:52:44 GMT

rtan_at_.uts.amdahl.com (Rick Tan) writes:
>Hi,
>I need to retrieve a row from a table. The row selected must have the
>largest value in a field. What SQL statement will do the trick?
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>Rick

You need to retrieve the entire row which contains the highest value in one specific column?

The highest value in a column:

   select max(column) from table;

The row with the highest value in a column:

   select * from table
   where column = (select max(column) from table)

This MAY return more than one row if two-or-more rows have the same value in column that happens to be the highest value.

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, Vista-Chrome, Inc., Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
GEnie Unix RoundTable Manager, andy_at_vistachrome.com, andy_at_genie.geis.com.