SQL*TextRetrival Questions for the Gurus

From: NASM <s12_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au>
Date: 25 Feb 93 03:23:15 GMT

To all SQL*TextRetrieval Gurus

We are planning to use TEXT RETIEVAL in our project where we use many long fields. So I tried to write a sample form and noted the following:

  1. It displays the long field line by line (ie, each line identified by a line feed). If there are no line feeds in long field then the text retrieval truncates the line. (A long field with out linefeeds can be created using the EDIT function in SQL*FORMS).
  2. The userexit 'trsctn' gives the hitlist table name as 'txfhitn' (as described in the manuals Version 1.1) but there is no table by this name. The table name seems to be 'SYSTEXT.TXH_HITLISTn'
  3. It does not have an editor of its own like the 'EDIT' function of SQL*FORMS. It needs an external editor.
  4. Each time the user exit 'trqerh' is invoked for the same query, the same records get inserted into the hitlist table again and again ending up with duplicate rows. Do I have to delete records in the hitlist table before I invoke the userexit. If I delete all the rows in the hitlist, will it affect another user logged in with the same user id.
  5. Administrator's Guide talks about the column HL_NUMBER on page B-3 in TXH_HITLIST table. But it does not exist. Where do I find it. Or do I have the manuals for the wrong version.

Could you let me know hou you people have circumvented these problems or did I miss anything. Also I want to know the editor you used as the end users do not prefer 'vi'. Moreover I do not want them to break into the shell. Though I can circumvent problem 2 by getting the slot number, I just want to know whether it is a bug.

Thanks in advance,

Sai Prasad

 Sai Prasad
 Telecom Australia