Re: ORACLE7 list of features

From: Joseph Bennett <jbennett_at_netcom.com>
Date: 24 Feb 93 20:56:51 GMT

The only problems is that......

Stored procedures and functions require the purchase of the Procedural Option

Any remote database features (at least the ones that are being touted) require the purchase of the Distributed Option (which, to my understanding, NO ONE GETS FOR FREE). Use of the same database on multiple machines require the Parallel Option.

Use of the Multi-Threaded Server requires SQL*Net v2 which is still in beta.

Lastly, as of now, at least on the VMS platform, only the base development tools are available (SQL*Forms, Menu, Report*Writer). NO end-user tools are available (at least from Oracle - such as Data Query or SQL*QMX or EASY*SQL). Also, the CASE tools are, as of yet, unsupported, and I was told that they would be available in 'maybe March' (which means 'maybe August'). Also, none of the financials or other 'applications' from Oracle are supported yet on Oracle7.

There are MANY problems with the migration - I was told that the average time to migrate was 1.5 hours per 500mb of data. Our time to finish (and we ended up giving up and will rebuild our database later) was 20 hours for a 2.5gb database.

* Joseph Bennett, I can be reached at jbennett_at_netcom.COM * * Netcom - Online Communication Services San Jose, CA * * * * "I have a fear of letting my mind wander, I'm afraid it won't come back" * * "I don't do drugs, I don't have the time." *