Re: SQL FORMS beginner's questions

From: Ian A. MacGregor <ian_at_tethys.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 00:12:47 GMT

Your first question was ably answered. When you commit in forms it updates records which have been changed, not ones that you have only looked at. If you only change records in one block, then only the tables connected to the block are updated. For instance if you have a master detail screen and update the detail block, without making any changes to the master, only the table connect to the detail block is updated.

To put it anonter way: For a record to be updated, Oracle must think the record has been changed. If you believe more records are being updated than the ones you have changed, why do you believe so? One possiblility would be a post-query trigger which writes to a database field on the screen. If you have such a thing then indeed all the records queried are being updated by the trigger. If so change the field to non-database.

  gotta go netnews is crashing in 5 minutes hope this helps

                     Ian MacGregor
                      Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
                     (415) 926-3528