Problems with LONG RAW data using Oracle OCI from Windows

From: JONES,MICHAEL D. <mj4_at_prism.gatech.EDU>
Date: 23 Feb 93 20:58:13 GMT

I'm using the Oracle OCI from within Windows to access a remote oracle database on a Sun. I'm using the LONG datatype to store chunks of data with a size of 10K. I'm able to store and retrieve the data fine for the first few attempts of a connection, but then the process on the server hangs and never returns from the execute-query call. If I login to the server, the process still exists. If I start up SQLDBA MONITOR, I can see that the process has the table locked. If I select the PROCESSES option from within SQLDBA MONITOR, I am told that an error occurred and I am kicked out of SQLDBA. This happens until I kill the orphaned process.

This problem does not occur when I access a local databases from within Windows in standard mode, and does not appear to occur on servers other than Sun.

If anyone can offer any clue to my problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Michael Jones

--
JONES,MICHAEL D.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!mj4