Re: OracleCard -- opinions?

From: Wendy Davis <cb910_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Date: 23 Feb 1993 22:20:43 GMT

In a previous article, mykle_at_netcom.com (prince of tildes) says:

>hi. i'm looking at the possibility of using OracleCard for some database
>front-end stuff, and i'd love to hear anybody's opinions of it. i have
>some specific concerns, like:
>
>a) what version of HyperCard is it most like? does it allow the user to
>pick any card size, or just a Mac-Plus screen size?
>
>b) how well is SQL integrated into the languange -- is there a table object
>defined to handle data on the screen, or are there just routines to dump
>query results into textboxes?

I really can't answer these...I use SuperCard as an interface.

>c) does OracleCard interate with SQL*Net? can I query my UNIX database
>over appletalk? the SQL*Net marketing glossies insinuate that this is
>possible, but i'm suspicious ...

If SQL*Net works with ORACLECARD the same way it does with SuperCard, it shouldn't be a problem: the 'execSQL' XCMD talks to the hosts file for the SQL*Net connection. Also, with MacTCP and an ethernet connection, you should be able to establish a TCP/IP connection to the Unix machine.

Hope this helps.

--WeNDY

--
              Not just a job...it's a way of life.

Wendy Davis  Research Imaging Center  davisw_at_biad17.uthscsa.edu