Re: ClearAccess experience Mac/Sun?

From: Wendy Davis <cb910_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Date: 23 Feb 1993 22:09:28 GMT

In a previous article, steiger_at_rzu.unizh.ch (Steiger Daniel) says:

>As everywhere, the problem is always the same. We have that very sophisticated Oracle RDBMS on a 690/SUN server and manage scientific data for different sub-
>groups (e.g.climate modelling, radiation measurements, data from field experiments and much more).
>But, the once-in-a-week-user is not able to retrieve data by sql. He (or she)
>need a data access tool like ClearAccess (point & click).
>
>Does anyone have experience with that sort of data access tool in a Macintosh/SUN environment?
>
>Comments and recommendations would be very appreciated.

I think I can answer your question...

We use Supercard to access our BrainMap data on the Sun from Macintoshes. Oracle also puts out a tool called ORACLE*Card, but I haven't used it. If your applications are fairly simple, HyperCard might serve your purpose.

All three of these solutions use ORACLEAccess language to embed the SQL statements within HyperTalk or SuperTalk.

Also, I just found out about SQL*Forms Runtime for the Mac. This will supposedly allow you to develop Forms applications on the Sun and port them to a runtime version on the Mac. (Our copy is on the way, haven't tried it yet :)

Hope this helps...if you need more inofo on the specifics of SuperCard implementation, email me at davisw_at_biad17.uthscsa.edu

Good luck,

WeNDY

--
              Not just a job...it's a way of life.

Wendy Davis  Research Imaging Center  davisw_at_biad17.uthscsa.edu