Re: Foramtting column headings in SQL*Plus

From: Kenneth Melcher <kmelcher_at_rafael.Arco.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1993 21:10:26 GMT

In article 19500_at_cbfsb.cb.att.com, danj_at_cbnewsg.cb.att.com (Dan Jackson) writes:
>Is there an easy way to have SQL*Plus give you column
>headings that are long enough for the entire column name?
>
>I have several indicator fields which are only ONE character
>long but the column name is more than one character. For example,
>I have 5 indicator fields which have y/n values. Let's say the
>name of these five columns are "indicator1", "indicator2", etc..
>so when I do "select *" I get chopped column headings:
>
>name i i i i i
>---- - - - - -
>joe y n n y n
>sue y n n y n
>mike y n n y n
>

>and I would like to have:
>
>name indicator1 indicator2 indicator3 ...
>---- ---------- ---------- ---------- ...
>joe y n n
>sue y n n
>mike y n n
>

>Chapter 18 of SQL*Plus user's guide says to use:
>"COLUMN indicator1 FORMAT a10"
>to give you 10 characters on output, but I don't want
>to have to type this *every* time I run a "select *".

I know of know way to have SQL*PLus default to show you entire column names in the heading, but you can place your "COLUMN indicator1 FORMAT a10" statements in your login.sql file to have them in effect every time you run SQL*plus.

Not a pretty solution, but it'll work.

KRM Received on Thu Feb 18 1993 - 22:10:26 CET

Original text of this message