Re: Help - where is FROM clause in update?

From: Thomas Cox <tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com>
Date: 18 Feb 93 08:37:46 GMT

alaw_at_us.oracle.com writes:
>danj_at_cbnewsg.cb.att.com (Dan Jackson) writes:

>>How do you include a join operation when using SQL to
>>perform an update? I am using Oracle 6.0 with embedded
>>SQL. I have some values from my embedded program and
>>I want to populate a table with these values AND I
>>also need some values from other tables.

>>the SQL syntax seems to say that you can "set column = value"
>>or "set column = (query)" I need to do both. If I have 5
>>values that I am updating from another table, do I have
>>to "set column = (query)" 5 times, once from each value?

>>I am use to using Ingres 6.4 which DOES have a 'from' clause
>>which makes this very easy. Does Oracle 7 have it?
>>Is there an ANSI standard?

[example of update deleted -- thanks, Alvin.]

My understanding of the ANSI standards (yes, that's plural) for SQL is that the UPDATE statement can *only* apply to one table, and furthermore that the UPDATE statement itself has no FROM clause. (Subqueries, however, certainly can have FROM clauses.)

Either Ingres 6.4 violates the ANSI standards, *or* my understanding is wrong, *or* your memory of what Ingres 6.4 allows is faulty.

I am interested in the actual answer on this. Could anyone supply it?

--
Thomas Cox      DoD #1776   '91 CB 750 Nighthawk   tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com
    The Platinum Rule:  "Do Unto Others As They Want To Be Done Unto"