Re: Install/Run V6 and V7 on AIX

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_oracle.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1993 04:57:19 GMT

In article <1993Feb16.175712.4822_at_newstand.syr.edu>, kcameron_at_erc.cat.syr.edu (Ken Cameron) writes:
|> I am currently running V6 on our AIX box. We need to keep it for doing
|> training classes and some client support activities. However I also have
|> the V7 tape (pre) and need to install and run it so we can develope
|> classes under the new system and then sell the clients on doing the
|> migration to V7 (it took us awhile to get out of V5). Are there big
|> hints on how to do it right and not get some mixed up system. We would
|> love it to be as simple as having both running at the same time so
|> users would just have to select where ORACLE_HOME is and ORACLE_SID
|> and set their PATH and run but can it be that simple? So if someone
|> has done this could you please send notes or indexes (if RTFM) then I
|> will be much happier about this process.

Yes, it is possible to run both V6 and V7 at the same time on an RS6000 (running AIX 3.2). You definitely have to have two separate ORACLE_HOMEs for the two instances. To further avoid confusion, you may even opt to install the two versions under separate Unix accounts (eg oracle6 and oracle7).

Assuming the installs go smoothly, the /etc/oratab file contain lines that look similar to the following two lines below: ORA6:/usr/oracle6:N
ORA7:/usr/oracle7:N

As the user accounts are set up, you may want to set up the .login or .profile to point to one version or the other by default. For users to switch databases, you may want to set up a script that lets users know the names of the databases available on the machine and then run the oraenv or coraenv script (for Bourne shell/ksh or csh/tcsh users respectively) supplied by Oracle to set up the main environment variables  (ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, and PATH) used by Oracle to determine the database a user is connecting to.

An example of a csh script below called oraversions: # ---- Cut here

echo ""
echo "The following databases are available:"
echo "    Version            ORACLE_SID"
echo "    Oracle7		ORA7"
echo "	  Oracle6		ORA6"

# ---- Cut here
And then set up the alias in the users' csh environment. alias changedb '/usr/local/bin/oraversions; source /usr/local/bin/coraenv'

[Alternatively, one can modify the coraenv script to incorporate  informing the user about the available databases on the machine  and simplify the alias to become
 alias changedb 'source /usr/local/bin/coraenv']

Hope this is what you were asking for.

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation

[DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are strictly my own] Received on Thu Feb 18 1993 - 05:57:19 CET

Original text of this message