Forms V3 question.

From: C.J. Jardine <cj10_at_cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1993 12:45:49 GMT

I have a problem with Forms V3 (who hasn't?).

I have a multi-record block based on a table. Just one of the fields contains information derived from another table. I intend that this non-base-table field be updatable. I know how to populate the field in a Post-Query trigger, how to do appropriate locking of rows of the non-base table in an On-Validate_Field trigger, and how to handle the actual database updates required in Pre-Insert, Pre-Update and Pre-Delete triggers.

My problem occurs if the operator changes only this special field. The record is never marked for update, as no database field has changed. My Pre-Update trigger does not fire.

I suppose that I can get round this by assigning some other database field to itself in the On-Validate-Field trigger for my special field. This seems ugly. Is there a better way?

Answers by e-mail please. I will post anything interesting.

Charles Jardine. University of Cambridge (England) Computing Service. Received on Wed Feb 17 1993 - 13:45:49 CET

Original text of this message