tkprof question regarding cr and cur values

From: Aniruddha Kortikar <kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com>
Date: 17 Feb 93 20:11:30 GMT

I am trying to understand more about cr, cur values in tkprof output.

when I execute select field1 from table1 where field1='somevalue'; (assuming no indexes on table1)
the execution plan is "TABLE ACESS FULL (TABLE1)"

however the tkprof output shows

		Phys	cr	Cur	Rows
Parse		0	0	0
Execute		0	0	2	0
Fetch		5	10	0	2

a)	why are there 2 buffers in CUR mode ? (CUR is for modifying trans)
b)	why are there 10 in CR mode ? (CR is for consistent read)
	There are NO other users or transaction in database. then whay are
	the buffers read in CR mode at all ?

Strangely if I create anotehr table as "Select table2 as selct * from table1" and then run the tkprof output I get

		Phys 	CR	CUR	Rows
Parse		0	0	0
Execute		0	0	2	0
Fetch		10	10	0	2

why should the buffers increase in Phys,cr. or in other words why should Phys be less in case of table1 ?

If it really matters I am using Oracle v6.0.33.+ on AT&T Unix 5.4 there are about 700 records in table.

and select count(distinct substr(rowid,1,8)) from table1 (also table2) gives me 10 (which I guess is unchained blocks)

there is no likelihood of chaining as pctfree is 15% and I have not done any updates to the data.

Aniruddha Kortikar (kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com)

E-mail : kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com | A billion here, a billion there ... Phone(W): 408 765 5515 | pretty soon it adds upto real big money