Re: Oracle & Unix SYSVR4

From: Thomas Cox <tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com>
Date: 4 Feb 93 08:15:39 GMT

guy_at_mais.hydro.qc.ca (Guy Harel) writes:
>gerrit_at_vtm.be writes:

>>The other day we had a meeting with a salesperson of Oracle. I asked him
>>a question about the availability of Oracle on PC/Unix. He replied to me that
>>a version exists but that it was intended to be used on SCO Unix.

>>Has anybody used it with other Unixes for PC and if your answer is true, did
>>you encounter any problems ?

>I have used ORACLE 6 on INTERACTIVE UNIX 2.0 and 2.2 (Which is a port of
>System V 3.2 from AT&T) with very few problem.

	There used to be three PC Unixes that one could buy Oracle on.
	They were AT&T (sVr3.x and sVr4), SCO, and ISC (Interactive).

	More recently, I heard, these three OSes were unified under a
	single Oracle release, Oracle for Intel Unix.  The one release
	was good for any of these three PC versions of Unix running on
	Intel microprocessors.

	This was to have the added bonus feature that you could get
	instant availability of the latest Oracle products on any of the
	three, and not worry that SCO might be ported later or earlier
	than ISC, etc.

	This was announced in the US some time ago.  I do not know if it
	is still the case, as I never bought it, and I do not know if
	it's available in Belgium.

	But Oracle *was* available on straight AT&T sVr4 on a PC as of a
	few months ago when I worked with it.

	-Tom
--
Thomas Cox      DoD #1776   '91 CB 750 Nighthawk   tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com

    The Platinum Rule: "Do Unto Others As They Want To Be Done Unto" Received on Thu Feb 04 1993 - 09:15:39 CET

Original text of this message