Re: Oracle logging and recovery

From: Martin Jarvis <smj_at_jbecpor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1993 09:07:17 +0000

I have considered implementing archive log mode, but cant seem to find the time, I have a feeling that it may take a while to set up. Chapter 15 of the DBA guide talks at length about it.

The method of backup I perform is to take a full export of the database to disk,then our system manager backs up all the files on the system. This gives me three options for recovery. Either full restore of database files (quickest), full restore of database tables or restore of individual tables. The only floors in this method are that in the event of failure we have to go back to the situation as of the previous night and that the database is unavailable for 1/2 hour at 11:00pm every night.

At the end of the day, you have to weigh up the cost of loss of data to your organisation to the cost of performing more advanced backups.

What ever method you choose, make sure it works. Document your recovery procedure and test it.

   Martin Jarvis                         |    John Brown E & C Ltd,
   smj_at_jbecpor.demon.co.uk               |    1 Buckingham Street,
   Martin Jarvis /JBEC-Portsmouth, IT | Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK